When: Saturday, June 14, 2014 at the Windemere Way Access Area (map & more info)
Where: Windemere Way State Boat Launch, Colchester, VT
Registration: 10am until 11am
Fishing: 11am until 1pm
Taking a kid fishing can be one of the most important things you can do. It teaches them life skills such as patience, independence, critical thinking, and respect for their environment. Conservation starts with instilling stewardship in youth at a young age; kids that grow up with an appreciation and personal connection with the their surroundings are more likely to take care of them and bring those values into their adult life.
The LCI Little Anglers' Derby is a great, free way to get kids involved in the sport of fishing!
Parents: Buy Your Vermont Fishing License Here!
- This event is open to children 14 years and younger accompanied by an adult.
- There is no fee for this event, although children must have their own equipment and bait. Handlines are sufficient. No nets may be used to actually catch fish, only to land fish that are already hooked.
- Any species of fish caught at the Winooski River Recreational Area is eligible as long as it is legal. The child must play and land the fish, although the adult may help with baiting hooks, casting, and landing the fish with a net. Each entry will be judged on weight and time of entry.
- Winning fish will be based on heaviest weight and earliest weighed-in in the event of ties. Only fished weighed-in and released alive will be eligible for awards. Dead fish or fish not reasonably expected to survive will not be eligible for awards.
- Parents and guardians must possess a legal Vermont fishing license in order to fish with a child, which includes casting a fishing pole and holding a pole while the line is in the water.
All Vermont state regulations apply. ABSOLUTELY NO ALCOHOL or DRUGS!